Slow News Is No News

The offseason is a depressing time for any football fanatic, and it is certainly not the steady stream of news that is trickling out of Foxboro that keeps us going. I think that The Patriots had a team capable of winning it all, and at most points in the season it seemed (to me) that it was inevitable. However, when the critical moments came to pass, we didn't pass the test.

I covered this team's every move for 12 months, and the team that I saw play against The Ravens was not the team that I had watched so closely. It was as if all the improvments that we categorized as being better than 2011 disappeared with the injuries to Love, Talib, Jones and Gronk.

Yet still, in the most painful twist of fate, we cannot help but look back at the Welker drop as the critical play. Two years in a row, this has been the lingering thoughts that ring in my head weeks after the loss. The decision on whether to re-sign Welker is an easy one for me. That $10 Million should go towards reinforcing the interior DL and the DB spots. Welker is a top flight WR, but he's not worth the money if he can't take us to the promised land.

As to who we pursue... who knows. DL and DB are premium positions, but the way I see it, we've got the money to spend if we can put aside our personal feelings for Welker. The black and white of it is that Welker has to go, even if the offense suffers.

Comments

Popular Posts