I Call That A Bargain

Yes, I think that Seabass-tian Vollmer for $8.25Million in guaranteed money is a bargain. He has proved that his back injury will limit his amount of games played. However he is a Pro Bowl caliber RT when he's on the field.

He is among the best blockers downfield, and he adds a certain flexibility and to run different screen passes. Vollmer is also one of the guys who once earned the team a day off by catching a punt clean. He's not quite as talented at returning as, say, Dan Connolly, but he is very athletic.

Seabass was probably the best RT on the free agent market, but he didn't draw a ton of interest because "everybody" thought he would stay with the Patriots. For a minute, I was pretty sure that his back injury combined with Marcus Cannon's readiness would indicate his departure. Still, I am glad to see Vollmer back on the squad.

Overall, I think that Vollmer signed a team friendly deal here, and I am happy for him. $8.25 Million dollars is a handsome windfall. I hope you see all $17 Million with your incentives. He also gets to stay on a team that is a contender.

Speaking of which, what should the Patriots do next?

Well, based on estimates that I have seen, Vollmer's cap hit in 2013 is between 3-4 Million. So, subtract that from the 15 Million we had before the deal, and viola... 11-12 Million dollars of free-ish money.

I still think that we should resign Julian Edelman as an interchangable piece in the offense, and a special teams contributor. He can tackle as well as return; the dude is insane. I am not sold that Emmanuel Sanders is better deal, considering we would have to tender a 3rd round pick to get him.

Also, any DL or DE you can find at Belichick's set price. If that's John Abraham, so be it. I think our main draft priority needs to be Defense, but I am not sure where to allocate the picks. It would be nice to take another shot at a CB in the draft, but it needs to be somebody tall and athletic. If we are drafting for the DL, then I'd say we should get interior depth with the late rounders.

I honestly think we should not draft a WR, unless that WR is Tavon Austin (but that won't happen... will it?)

Just throwing it out there, do we even have close to enough money to be interested in Osi Umenyiora, because that would be a wet dream. Nink/Osi/Vince/Jones as a 4-man front.




Comments

Popular Posts