Countdown To Draft Day

The offseason just seems to be flying by. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to commit enough time to The Patriots. I've been too busy with trivial stuff like building a career and applying for jobs all over Massachusetts. I have interviews on Wednesday and Thursday, and I've been holding down a temporary position for a while. So, wish me luck! Or whatever...

Anyway, I haven't been deep into the draft stuff because I simply don't care until the week of the draft. If there was ever a time to prognosticate the picks of the draft, it is now. Free agency is largely over, so we finally have an idea of the 2013-14 roster's strengths and weaknesses. The way I see it, our priorities go like this: #1 WR, #2 DT/DE, #3 DB.

I think that The Patriots will spend their highest pick on a player that is sure to contribute right away. In all honesty, we should know that a WR can't do that in this system. Unless BB finds a way to steal a physical specimen in the late first round, I just don't see it happening.  Likewise, it is hard to see one of the "sure-thing" D-linemen to fall all the way to #29.

I think BB will consider trading up to get a top tier guy, but only if the opportunity for a difference maker avails itself for "good value." More likely, we'll trade back for more picks between rounds 2-6. If the right guy isn't there, then I think it will be smart to accumulate some picks, but hopefully picks for this 2013 draft (not future picks). I don't want future picks with the whole "window closing" thing. We need quality picks THIS year.

The Patriots need to bring in some quality depth more than replace their starters. As it is, I'm comfortable the with starters.

DEFENSE
CB - Talib, Dennard (Arrington)
S - McCourty, Wilson/Gregory
DE - Jones, Ninkovich
DT - Wilfork, Love, Armstead
LB - Mayo, Hightower, Spikes, Fletcher

OFFENSE
QB - Brady
RB - Ridley and Vereen
WR - Amendola, Edelman, Jones
TE - Gronk, Hernandez, Ballard
OL - Solder, Mankins, Wendell, Connolly, Vollmer (Cannon)

Certainly the biggest concern is at WR due to the turnover that has taken place, but I am confident that Belichick will at least try to find some production through the draft. We need depth at CB and S more than we need to replace the guys we've got. The same goes for the DL. We're hoping that Armstead works out, and Francis/Bequette/Jones take the next step, but I would be in favor of bringing in another 300 lb guy to work on the interior. One piece that we are "missing" (expecting nothing from Fletcher) is a Nickel LB that can cover TEs and RBs more effectively than Spikes and Hightower.

Overall, if we come out of this thing with a serviceable outside WR and a couple defensive players that contribute on a rotational basis, I will be very happy. I wouldn't even be opposed to taking multiple players at WR to hedge our bet. All we NEED is a WR, but we could certainly use a few Defensive toys as well.

Comments

Popular Posts