BenJarvus Green-Ellis

BJGE has not fumbled since High School
I have decided to forego my initial task to document prospects at the FS position because I have found that the late rounders have little to no reliable scouting info to be found.  Instead, I would like to address the issue of the Patriots own free agents.  First I will list my top priorities, and then talk about why BJGE should be brought back at a "respectable salary."

1. Wes Welker
2. Kyle Love
3. Dan Koppen - if fully healthy and ready
4. Matthew Slater
5. Mark Anderson
6. BenJarvus Green-Ellis
7. Andre Carter - if he can be placed on PUP list and contribute in weeks 9-17
8. Dan Connolly - if Koppen not healed
9. Tracy White
10. Deion Branch

Notables - James Ihedibgo, Brian Hoyer

The Patriots cannot afford to keep everyone on this list, and this list is probably not an accurate portrayal of who will be back.  However, it is my opinion of each player's value to the team (assuming 100% health).  It may be very hard to bring back aging injured players like Koppen and Carter, but I do not have access to such information.

I have placed Anderson above Green-Ellis because it is my opinion that a team can never have too many pass rushers, and his sacks this year were a huge boost.  If he can duplicate his success, then he is a no-brainer.

However, BJGE is an interesting case because the young RBs that are in the stable.  I tend to think that fans and media members have been overstating the readiness of Ridley and Vereen.  Although Ridley and Vereen have tremendous raw talent and upside, neither is a great between the tackles, push-the-pile, short yardage guy.  BJGE is a tremendous one-cut, push-the-pile type of guy, and his TD numbers are excellent.  BJGE is a huge reason why the Patriots have been so successful in the Red Zone, and he takes a lot of pressure off of Brady down by the goal line.

I think that the Patriots NEED to bring BJGE back for at least 3-4 years.  I think that he has done everything needed to deserve a respectable contract offer, but the question becomes what do both sides think "a respectable contract" will be?  Surely we would like to save as much money as possible, but let us not be arrogant in thinking that he can be replaced.  Green-Ellis is not a dime-a-dozen RB.  He may only produce average numbers, but he is a model of consistency.  Let us not forget this when squabbling over half a million dollars.

Here is my offer:  3 years with a player option for a 4th, yearly signing bonus ($0.5 Million), and base salary ($2 Million).  Certainly this is a large upgrade from his current salary of $392,000.  This is his first new contract since signing as an undrafted rookie.

I think it would be fair to offer him somewhere in the range of $2 Million, but I speak as a reporter, not as an agent or an owner.  Just let it be known that I want to see BJGE retire as a Patriot.  He embodies the Patriot Way in all that he does, and I hope that we can reward him for his selfless play, continuing improvement, and tireless dedication.  BJGE is not a dime-a-dozen, and will not be easily replaced.

Comments

Popular Posts