Moving On...

So, as we all know, the Patriots came up a few plays short (again) in XLVI.  I won't belabor the pain or turn the knife because I understand the pain. I feel it with you all.  However, let us not despair.  We have a great team returning in 2012, and to hammer that home I will give us all 5 reasons to look forward to 2012.

1. Wes Welker will likely be back as a main target for TB12.  Although Welker could receive considerably more money/years elsewhere, all signs indicate that he will stay be tagged for roughly $9 million.  This is a huge raise from his current salary of less than $2.5 million, but do not be surprised if Welker shops the market a bit to gain some leverage.  If he gets a decent long term offer from a team with an elite QB like the Saints or Packers, Kraft may be forced to "pay the man" as Welker told Deion Sanders at SB 46 media day.

2. Tom Brady.  Despite the media backlash that comes after an aging QB loses in the Superbowl, we all know that TB12 is an all time great.  Everyone knows that he is capable of carrying a team, as he did in 2011.  The Pats did just have "The worst Defense to ever reach the Superbowl."

3. The Draft.  The hoodie has plenty of early round picks up his sleeve this year.  I trust him to do his thing - whether that means trading up, trading down, or lampooning the likes of Mel Kiper with another head scratcher, I trust Bill.  I personally hope that we can finally make a front-7 splash in the offseason, but I could see BB do it through free agency (Mario Williams?) rather than trade up to get a hot unproven commodity in the 5-15 range.

4. Josh McDaniels and the 2 TE Offense.  Hernandez and Gronkowski still have 2 years left on their rookie contracts.  I am really looking forward to what Josh McDaniels does with these guys.  Can they increase their production in 2012? Is that even possible?  I feel like McDaniels will bring in some new blood on the outside in an attempt to make the Pats O more vertical (a la 2007).  As to what happens with Deion Branch, no one knows.  Unfortunately, he is not a #1 WR anymore, and the Offense stands to improve without him.  I do think he will be on the team, but as the #3 or 4 WR.  Tough role for a former SB MVP.  However, he is "the model of consistency" according to former coach Eric Mangini, and I think that he could be a good (coach-like) influence on the route running of the young guys.

5. Stevan Ridley.  I like the move BB made by letting the kid sit on the sideline during the Superbowl.  I am sure that it hammered home the fact that fumbling is absolutely unacceptable.  Ridley had to be thinking, "I am better than BJGE and Woodhead."  The kid has talent, plain and simple. I know it. He knows it. Bill knows it. He is an explosive running threat, but he needs to learn the hard lessons.  I hope that he has.

Comments

Popular Posts