Preseason is TLDR / Giants - Patriots / Fantasy Team

So, my fantasy football draft was going on during the bulk of the final preseason game. It was on, but I couldn't really pay too much attention. The starters didn't play, so I didn't watch. Thats pretty much how it goes.  Sure, I saw a few plays here and there.  I saw some quickness from Jeff Demps on the punt return, but I wasn't blown away by anything.  There was that J. Holley catch that was called incomplete by the rent-a-refs, but even so, I doubt that Holley will make the team anyways. 

Fantasy football is much more important than these painfully long exhibition games where no one scores a TD.  Speaking of not scoring TDs, I was that guy in the draft that took a late-round flyer on Tebow.  My buddy was telling me how he has "no value."  I almost started to regret it, but I just had to do it.  I also took Randy Moss in the late rounds for the same reason, he has incredible potential to put up fantasy points.  My bench is full of guys with good upside, and my starters are solid.

Here's what it looks like:
QB Matt Stafford, Roethlisberger and Tebow
RB Matt Forte, Darren Sproles, BenJarvus Green-Ellis, Reggie Bush, and Ryan Williams 
WR Brandon Lloyd, Eric Decker, Jeremy Maclin and Randy Moss
TE Aaron Hernandez and Jared Cook
D/ST Chiefs
K Matt Prater

I like to have decent depth at RB in case of injury, but I didn't want to get too many and keep a solid player on the bench.  Likewise, I don't want my season to get flushed down the tubes due to an injury at QB, so I picked up Big Ben to ride the Big Bench. Tebow is there just in case he gets the Jets #1 spot. In which case, I would trade Stafford or Roethlisberger and ride with Tebow.  His rushing yards/TDs are worth a bit more, so I figured it was worth the risk. Unfortunately, I can't play him at RB.

I am not sure about the Chiefs D, but I am putting some faith in Romeo Crennel.  I have always thought that elite WRs are overrated because their production is usually inconsistent.  I took guys that are poised to improve upon their value from last year (Lloyd with Brady and Decker with Manning).  Also, I thought Maclin would be a good pick because DeSean Jackson will see double teams, while Maclin gets 1-on-1s all day. The same principle is true with Decker, he will likely see single coverage all day. 

I am putting faith in Peyton Manning to jumpstart the Denver offense, which should give Prater plenty of action. Likewise, length of the FG counts for points, and he can boom that ball in the Mile High air.  Overall, I like my team.  I wasn't able to get my first choices because I drafted last, but I was able to get good value as the board developed.  I took Aaron Hernandez a little earlier than I would have liked, but he wouldn't have been there if I had waited.

Segueing smoothly back to the Patriots, I think Hernandez is poised for a big year.  He will be featured in many different ways.  He will put up numbers despite the competition for targets.  Brady will find a way to spread the love between Welker, Gronk, Nandez, Lloyd, Branch, and the backfield.  He always does, and that's why we New Englanders love Tom.

I wouldn't shy away from picking New England's Defense, even if it is way at the bottom.  I think this team will have some serious attitude on Defense.  I cannot wait to see one of these Rookies light up Jake Locker with a few sacks, maybe a fumble.  You'd better bet that Matt Patricia wants to put his rubber stamp down in his first year with the title Defensive Coordinator.


Comments

Popular Posts