Monday Re-Watch - Arizona

Still has the best FG% in Patriots history at 84.5%
Every Monday, win, lose or draw, I go back and take a second look at the game. I do my best to separate the passions of Sunday from the retrospect of Monday. Quite simply, we played poorly, and The Cardinals took it to us. The Patriots failed to reach 3 of the 5 benchmarks that I set for them in my Keys to Victory article.

1. Protect the Ball -The Offense failed to protect the football surrendering possession on their first play. Likewise, the blocked punt featured bad blocking by Nate Ebner, and a bad decision by personal protector, Pat Chung, who got caught in the middle and blocked no one. EPIC FAIL.

2. Stop the Run from Nickel - Although the Patriots did not get gouged by the run, The Cardinals had moderate success from their committee of RBs. The Cardinals managed 105 yards on the ground. This was enough to use play action. FAIL.

3. Reduce Fitzgerald's Opportunities - The Patriots did very well to hold Fitz to only 1 rec. for 4 yards. Likewise, McCourty was left 1-on-1 with Fitzgerald twice, playing solid technique both times. McCourty played tight on the goal line and wasn't beat on the fade, also he had tight coverage on a 3rd down play (challenged by AZ, but still incomplete). PASS.

4. Establish Ridley - I asked Ridley for a bit more effectiveness than he delivered. I asked for 75 yards on 15 carries. He gave me 71 on 18. Overall, Ridley was pretty good, and he was better in the first half than the second. The Patriots did establish him, but could not protect Brady well enough to effectively use play action. Also, I really question some play-calling decisions to run the ball with Woodhead rather than Ridley. BARELY PASS.

5. Look for Welker - Welker did manage to produce 95 yards on only 5 receptions, but despite his yards, I don't think Brady looked for him enough. A few times Brady forced the ball to Lloyd and to Gronk. I think specifically of the failed 2-pt conversion. Gronk had much tighter coverage than Welker, and I think Welker would have made the play. Brady didn't even look to the left to see him. FAIL.

In my immediate reaction article, I said that poor Special Teams play is what lost the game, and my re-watch only served to make that argument stronger. Here are a few of things that I made note of:

  • Zoltan Mesko averaged 24.4 yards per punt
  • Touchback and Illegal formation penalty gave AZ ball at 25 to start long TD drive.
  • A punt was blocked, and another punt was nearly blocked.
  • Long snapper Jake Ingram commits false start penalty before 29 yard FG attempt.
  • Kick return unit allows 35 yard return on missed tackle by Brandon Bolden
  • Missed FG to end game.
However, despite these miscues on special teams, I think that my re-watch yielded a lot questions with McDaniels play-calling. Obviously the INT is not a result of play-calling mistake, but a few failed 3rd down conversions leave me scratching my head. I am thinking specifically about the overuse of Danny Woodhead.

Woodhead managed only 18 yards on 8 carries. However, its not his stats that scare me. No, I don't expect Woodhead to light up the fantasy boards, but I also don't expect to see him running the ball on 3rd and short. Twice McDaniels and Brady elected to go to Woodhead on the ground. Once, Woodhead got the two yards (with a generous spot). Another time, (on 3rd and 1) The Patriots blocked well enough to give him a chance, but Woodhead is not a power running back, and should not be utilized in that capacity.  What is even worse is the situation in which it occurred. The Patriots were in the red zone only once in the first half, and they settled for a short FG because Brady and McDaniels wanted to run the ball up the middle with Woodhead. Brady should have been looking for Welker or Gronkowski to pick up a critical three feet. It just makes me sick.

Another side note: I don't think that Sterling Moore played particularly well. He got beat on that TD pass, but that was a tough play. However, I saw him get blocked on a quite a few run plays. Wonder why BB elected for Moore over Dowling?

Comments

Popular Posts