Keys To Victory - Jets

With Thanksgiving upon us, football will dominate my attention. This short week went way too fast, but I've got to at least set some keys to victory or the blog police will take me away in a burlap bag. I fully admit that I didn't get much chance to break this one down, but to be honest I have no idea what will happen without Gronk. Last time, he played hurt and the team suffered. This time, he's out completely.

I don't care if you have 83, 81, 22, 11, 85, and 39.
Its all on you.
1. Tom Brady - I am not going to go into depth on this because everybody knows what I am getting at here. Tom needs to be the mvp again. Brady has only played 1 post-injury season without Gronk, and I almost forget what it's like. Then again, I remember back before the knee injury when Brady could throw to any scrub you could dream up. No matter which angle you look at this, the spotlight is on Tom. If he puts in a vintage performance, no one can stop us.

2. Force Sanchez Turnovers - No one can criticize this Defense if it continues to force turnovers. I don't care if teams are throwing for 350 yards every week if Brady is getting a couple extra possessions. If the Defense can hold the opponent under 30 points and force turnovers, then I would say they are doing their job. Then again, I will be totally upset if the abnomiable, detestable NY Jets score 29 points today. Turnovers are the key to victory because extra possessions define football games. Defensive TDs are even better, but I would be happy with a pick and a fumble from Sanchez.

The fact that Hernandez talked to the media this week
is evidence that he'll play and be effective.
3. Pick Up The Slack (and sacks) - Without Chandler Jones, The Patriots will look to Jermaine Cunningham to play primarily as a DE. Cunningham has flashed some talent this year, and I hope that he can generate some edge rush. However, I am a little more concerned with interior pressure. Brandon Deaderick has not show up as much of a factor, but without Cunningham inside Deaderick will often come on to replace Kyle Love or Vince Wilfork. Last week The Colts were able to run effectively when they saw these smaller fronts featuring Deaderick. Other important replacements this week will be Trevor Scott and Justin Francis. Hopefully someone can step up in pass rush, but this category also asks the TEs to answer bell. The Patriots will certainly use extra 3-WR sets, but they need to find a way to use all those TEs.

Green just wasn't Woody's color.
4. Danny Woodhead - Every once in a while I just get the feeling that Belichick has a fantastic sense of irony. When his team plays games in primetime, he knows and embraces the historical moment. Obviously he will try to put his team in the best position to win, and in my opinion his ego never gets in the way of that. Still, he knows that he's going for his 200th win on Thanksgiving against a bitter rival. What better way to prove that you own the division than to use a Jets castoff as an integral part of the gameplan? There was also that comment by Tom earlier this year about not knowing why The Jets would cut Danny Woodhead. Woody has really become the veteran in the RB-corps, and he didn't even get a touch last weekend. I just have a feeling that Woodhead is going to get a leg of that TurDuckHen. #boldprediction

5. Build On Last Week - Last week the secondary passed the eye test. Obviously Aqib Talib's statistics were not great (other than the INT) but he seemed to have tight and competitive coverage. We put in a 60 minute performance, and I expect to see that again this week. The Jets are not going to just lay down. This is going to be a slugfest. The fact that The Patriots secondary gained a lot of momentum last week has to help their confidence. They finally have continuity back there with Dennard and Talib at CB. Once again, this won't be about yards. I will be focused on tackling and competitive coverage. If we can be as good or better than we were against Indy, we'll win this one for sure.

Comments

Popular Posts